Skip to main content

Fiction


I don't enjoy reading fiction.  


I have read lots of fiction.  That's how I know I prefer true books.


I know there are interesting fiction books available.........Anne of Green Gables was a very good set of books.  I'm glad I read them all and I'm glad for the movies.


I'm just not comfortable reading made up things.........if it is a sad book and I cry....I sure don't want it to be fiction.  If I shed tears of sorrow or gladness, I want it to be true.


I think my distaste for fiction came about by reading a few fictional books about the Jewish Holocaust.  It just seemed so WRONG for somebody to write fiction about such a TRUE and horrible thing.  That time in history was so terrible, I can't imagine learning about it from fictional characters.  There are so many real people to read about and know their stories........and never forget.


Maybe it's because I came across some authors that I really enjoyed that wrote non-fiction  books.  I loved to read James Herriot.
 

Maybe it's because I read *To the Golden Shore*........a true story about Adoniram Judson.
Now THERE is a book for you.  If you haven't read it........get one and do so.


I think I like the word *informed*.  I don't feel informed after reading fiction.


I've even started liking books about HOUSES.  Bungalows.  Floor plans.  I read a really good book called *Old Chicago Houses*............and a book about Bemis.  He made cloth bags a LONG time ago.  I wrote to his company and told them I enjoyed the book. We went to a restaurant that had a Bemis cloth bag decorating the wall.......and it was neat to know the background!
 


I of course love Gladys Taber.  The funniest LOL book I have ever read is: Especially Father.  If you need a good giggle book, this is the one.  And how about Edwin Way Teale?  A naturalist writes about trips through seasons and his home on many acres of wildlife and forest.
I like quote books and Edgar Guest poems.  I'd rather look through a Lehman's Life Catalog than read a love story.  I'd rather thumb through a seed catalog than read a fictional tragedy.  I'd surely rather read a journal than a Tom Clancy.

Just think of the things you can learn..........landscape books, decorating, journals. devotionals, biographies...........apron books.  I have two.  I get inspired when I look at them.  Sometimes the inspiration brings forth an apron.
I like the little guide books about trees, insects, wildflowers and song-birds.  The older the better.
How about Einstein in the Kitchen?  or 1,000 Years Over a Hot Stove.

  but...........if you enjoy non-fiction, search for the best!

I do have quite a collection of Calvin and Hobbes......and Snoopy.
My favorite classic is Robinson Crusoe............

 (yay, I found a picture of the book)

Comments

Hi! I'm from "The Shed" and am really enjoying your blog. :-) I love to read too and one of our favorites (my husband and I) is "To the Golden Shore".
Love these pictures, that one reminds me of a St. Bernard we used to have.

Popular posts from this blog

My Favorite Child

I wish I had all the pictures I wanted, to go with this blog post........because I know a *picture paints a thousand words*, but for a large part of our family's life, old fashion cameras and old fashion pictures were being used.  So, many of the pictures that would help paint this post are somewhere in boxes and books.  It would take a month of Sundays to find them all so  I will just have to count on your imagination and my memory! FAVORITE: most liked, preferred above all others Sara, you were my favorite.  You were our first baby and we were so excited for you.  Your hair was perfect for me to learn how to braid and you always were very still for me.  You were the first little girl I got to dress up and put lacy socks on.  You were such a fun little girl to read to.  You memorized the books we had and it was a big part of our day to read with each other.  *where is the bear when the wind blows cold?*.    You have always been interested in the *family tree*, dates, p

Apron Give-AWAY

February 19th I will choose a winner. If you want to be entered into the contest..... Leave a comment with the word *APRON* in the sentence. Tell your friends about the contest......... I added a twist........... there are two aprons the winner gets to choose which one they want the other one will be for sale after the contest is over                                                                      #1 apron                                                                   Hello Spring! gingham ric-rac lace buttons Kitten Size Pocket 4 Spring Fabrics waistband 26 inches across from waist to hem 36 inches #2 Apron Spring Dream from waistband side to side 25inches from waist to hem 35 inches large gingham ruffle..........thick ric-rac.............kitten size pocket lots of flowers and buttons (will only send to USA) hop over to the Hutch to see more !! http://therabbithutchstore.blogspot.com/

Spring is around the corner...........

Rabbit Tails !!