Skip to main content

The World


I have a book with all sorts of fun facts and information in it.
I like reading books like that because there's always a good stopping place...
on just about any page.
There are a couple pages in the book that have lists of the 
most admired women in America.

1986-1948

Corazon Aquino
Ella Grasso
Corretta Scott King
Lurleen Wallace
Rose Kennedy
Lady Bird Johnson
Oveta Culp Hobby
Princess Elizabeth
Clare Boothe Luce
Eleanor Roosevelt

This is just a sample of some of the names.......
just see how fleeting fame is.....

I recognized lots of the names,
 but very few could I explain why they were 
somebody's favorites.
I don't know how or why they made the list.
For a little while, it had me concerned, 
as if I was missing out on
some great information.
I was not.

At about the same time I read this list,
my husband was preaching through the people from Hebrews
Hall of Faith!

Hebrews 11:1  Now faith is the substance of things hoped for,
 the evidence of things not seen.

Abel, Enoch, Noah, Abraham, Isaac, 
Jacob, Joseph,
Moses, Rahab
by Faith the walls of Jericho fell down
(this is not all)

It's one thing to not know the lists
 that the world puts together
of the people that they think are great....

But shouldn't we know :

Who through faith subdued kingdoms, wrought righteousness, 
obtained promises, stopped the mouths of lions, quenched the violence of fire,
 escaped the edge of the sword, out of weakness were made strong,
 waxed valiant in fight, turned to flight the armies of the aliens.

None of the people mentioned in this chapter 
knew the end of the story as
they lived out their lives.
They only knew each day as it came.
We know the end of the story
 and can be very hard on their weak points.
Why didn't they just obey?
Why didn't Moses just say YES right away?
Why was he afraid to speak?

Don't be concerned if you don't know
 the name of the latest movie,
the coolest car, the newest gadget,
 the most fun place in the world to spend a week.
All those things pass.
It's just the world.
What is written in Hebrews is timeless.
Be *very* concerned if you don't know why certain names are mentioned there.


Comments

Kari said…
Very well written! I didn't know most of the women on that list. They haven't changed my life like the sacrifice of those in Hebrews. Thank you for your inspiring post! :)

Popular posts from this blog

Apron Give-AWAY

February 19th I will choose a winner. If you want to be entered into the contest..... Leave a comment with the word *APRON* in the sentence. Tell your friends about the contest......... I added a twist........... there are two aprons the winner gets to choose which one they want the other one will be for sale after the contest is over                                                                      #1 apron                                                                   Hello Spring! gingham ric-rac lace buttons Kitten Size Pocket 4 Spring Fabrics waistband 26 inches across from waist to hem 36 inches #2 Apron Spring Dream from waistband side to side 25inches from waist to hem 35 inches large gingham ruffle..........thick ric-rac.............kitten size pocket lots of flowers and buttons (will only send to USA) hop over to the Hutch to see more !! http://therabbithutchstore.blogspot.com/

My Favorite Child

I wish I had all the pictures I wanted, to go with this blog post........because I know a *picture paints a thousand words*, but for a large part of our family's life, old fashion cameras and old fashion pictures were being used.  So, many of the pictures that would help paint this post are somewhere in boxes and books.  It would take a month of Sundays to find them all so  I will just have to count on your imagination and my memory! FAVORITE: most liked, preferred above all others Sara, you were my favorite.  You were our first baby and we were so excited for you.  Your hair was perfect for me to learn how to braid and you always were very still for me.  You were the first little girl I got to dress up and put lacy socks on.  You were such a fun little girl to read to.  You memorized the books we had and it was a big part of our day to read with each other.  *where is the bear when the wind blows cold?*.    You have always been interested in the *family tree*, dates, p

Spring is around the corner...........

Rabbit Tails !!