Skip to main content

I'm Only Human?

You and I know some people who swell up like a poisoned pup when called "a diamond in the rough" or "a rough diamond."  It always appears that they are more proud of being "in the rough" than they are of being a diamond!
If one has the sterling inward qualities of the diamond, it seems nothing short of an insult to his fellow men to present this diamond to them "in the rough."  The world has not the tools, the patience or the time to hack away the encrusting rock formation and find the jewel.
Usually this "diamond in the rough" believes people ought to ferret out, recognize and honor the inner value he takes such childish and unintelligent pride in keeping concealed from them.
If the human personification of this gem hasn't enough personal pride and kindliness to cut and polish the precious stone that is himself, until every facet sparkles to the full extent of its candlepower, how can he expect others to go to that trouble?
It is the duty of every human to gladden the rest of the race in every way possible; to add as much as he can to the sum total of life's joy and beauty--not add to life's tasks.
The human boulder with a first water diamond for a heart is both silly and cruel if he fails to slough off his unattractive covering and emerge in the full coruscating beauty of a perfectly cut and polished gem.
Gordon Owen

coruscate:


To give forth flashes of light; sparkle and glitter:
 
To say, I am only human, is to say, I can't help the way I am.  It is to say, I know I have qualities that are not 'diamond like', too bad for you. 

Comments

Rebecca said…
I've been guilty of this! I am both chastened and challenged. Thanks for posting it.
Mo said…
It stings, but that is good. That means I'm not past feeling!

Popular posts from this blog

My Favorite Child

I wish I had all the pictures I wanted, to go with this blog post........because I know a *picture paints a thousand words*, but for a large part of our family's life, old fashion cameras and old fashion pictures were being used.  So, many of the pictures that would help paint this post are somewhere in boxes and books.  It would take a month of Sundays to find them all so  I will just have to count on your imagination and my memory! FAVORITE: most liked, preferred above all others Sara, you were my favorite.  You were our first baby and we were so excited for you.  Your hair was perfect for me to learn how to braid and you always were very still for me.  You were the first little girl I got to dress up and put lacy socks on.  You were such a fun little girl to read to.  You memorized the books we had and it was a big part of our day to read with each other.  *where is the bear when the wind blows cold?*.    You have always been interested in the *family tree*, dates, p

Apron Give-AWAY

February 19th I will choose a winner. If you want to be entered into the contest..... Leave a comment with the word *APRON* in the sentence. Tell your friends about the contest......... I added a twist........... there are two aprons the winner gets to choose which one they want the other one will be for sale after the contest is over                                                                      #1 apron                                                                   Hello Spring! gingham ric-rac lace buttons Kitten Size Pocket 4 Spring Fabrics waistband 26 inches across from waist to hem 36 inches #2 Apron Spring Dream from waistband side to side 25inches from waist to hem 35 inches large gingham ruffle..........thick ric-rac.............kitten size pocket lots of flowers and buttons (will only send to USA) hop over to the Hutch to see more !! http://therabbithutchstore.blogspot.com/

Spring is around the corner...........

Rabbit Tails !!