Skip to main content

A Post With No Picture





I bought a book that is titled: OUT ON THE PORCH, An Evocation in Words and Pictures.

I have seen sad movies and read sad books, but this one little paragraph really struck me.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

The nursing home was stranded in the country, in an old cotton field, on a square of dead grass. It was rambling and squatty with a black shingle roof and not a leaf of shade. On the porch old women were rocking in the glare--white and black together in thin bathrobes. They watched me like birds as I climbed the steps, and the nearest one said "I can leave this minute if you find my shoes."

(Kate Vaiden by Reynolds Price)

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

When one is admitted to a nursing home, they don't come home. They are put in there for a reason, and the reason will not go away. We don't grow younger every day. It is a final living place.

So, here we have an old woman that would prefer to be somewhere else. She wants to live again. Run through fields, hug her babies that are now old themselves, eat ice cream and maybe even do some dishes. But she can't. She's not going home. She's not going to get any younger.

Why is she there? No family? Or just no family to love her? Did she live a meaningful life? Did she enjoy every day and make every moment full? Did she waste her time on things that did not matter? Is she tormented by thoughts of what she should have done? Is she wanting out of there to do things she never did, or does she want to go back to her life that was full of doing things for others?

Chances are, you are not in a rest home as you read this. Chances are, you CAN live. You may be hindered, but at least you're not in a rest home to live out your final days on a porch in a rocking chair. (Then....you won't even care that you finally have a porch.)

Surely you are not waiting around for somebody else to make your life bright and fair. Surely you are not wanting somebody else to assure you that your days will be merry and bright as in the Christmas song! There are some things we cannot change, but there are as many things that we CAN. If you are in a rut, it is of your own making. Don't wait for somebody to pull you out, they may not come. Don't whine, that same somebody might not be listening.

Ask the Lord to help you find your shoes and put them ON.


If I should ever find myself in a rocking chair in a rest home (there ARE worse things), I hope that I can look back and say I gave it my all. Every day.



He Giveth more Grace

He giveth more grace as our burdens grow greater,
He sendeth more strength as our labors increase;
To added afflictions He addeth His mercy,
To multiplied trials He multiplies peace.

When we have exhausted our store of endurance,
When our strength has failed ere the day is half done,
When we reach the end of our hoarded resources
Our Father’s full giving is only begun.

His love has no limits, His grace has no measure,
His power no boundary known unto men;
For out of His infinite riches in Jesus
He giveth, and giveth, and giveth again.



Comments

Anonymous said…
Wow!--Lots of food for thought...
Grammie Kim said…
oh, mo, we aren't ready for the rocking chairs yet...there is much to do. So many people that need what God has given to us. Joy and contentment, peace that comes from what God has done on our behalf.

I need to put on my shoes...
TO BECOME said…
What a great post and one so full of wisdom. If my life were to end to day, I know that I have had so many blessings that I have not enough thanks to the Lord, to be able to say them all. If I live to be 100 years and am still able to sit in a rocking chair on a porch or lay in a bed my thanks will still be to the Lord for all He has given to me. One of those things that I am most thankful in this life, is YOU, Michele. I know your love, I have felt your gentle touch, I know your thoughts of good to all and I thank God for you.
Chas said…
Wonderful thoughts...
Great post!
xoxo,
Chas

Popular posts from this blog

Apron Give-AWAY

February 19th I will choose a winner. If you want to be entered into the contest..... Leave a comment with the word *APRON* in the sentence. Tell your friends about the contest......... I added a twist........... there are two aprons the winner gets to choose which one they want the other one will be for sale after the contest is over                                                                      #1 apron                                                                   Hello Spring! gingham ric-rac lace buttons Kitten Size Pocket 4 Spring Fabrics waistband 26 inches across from waist to hem 36 inches #2 Apron Spring Dream from waistband side to side 25inches from waist to hem 35 inches large gingham ruffle..........thick ric-rac.............kitten size pocket lots of flowers and buttons (will only send to USA) hop over to the Hutch to see more !! http://therabbithutchstore.blogspot.com/

My Favorite Child

I wish I had all the pictures I wanted, to go with this blog post........because I know a *picture paints a thousand words*, but for a large part of our family's life, old fashion cameras and old fashion pictures were being used.  So, many of the pictures that would help paint this post are somewhere in boxes and books.  It would take a month of Sundays to find them all so  I will just have to count on your imagination and my memory! FAVORITE: most liked, preferred above all others Sara, you were my favorite.  You were our first baby and we were so excited for you.  Your hair was perfect for me to learn how to braid and you always were very still for me.  You were the first little girl I got to dress up and put lacy socks on.  You were such a fun little girl to read to.  You memorized the books we had and it was a big part of our day to read with each other.  *where is the bear when the wind blows cold?*.    You have always been interested in the *family tree*, dates, p

The winner has been chosen.........Lisa!!!!!

5 holiday fabrics (snowflakes, snowmen, hearts, mittens, ice skates, poinsettia, holly, country print) lace ric-rac buttons (lots) tag that says MO made it long ties fits most everybody (unless the Jolly Green Giant leaves a comment) the pocket is possibly large enough for a kitten........... All you have to do is this........ ************leave a comment....... the comment has to be a sentence with the word BUNNY*************** I will choose a name Tuesday evening...........and mail it as soon as I get the winner's address! So, if you want an apron made by Mrs. SewBunny for the holidays.........leave a comment! (just make sure you use the word BUNNY in the comment) the winner is LISA!!!!!!!!!!!1