Skip to main content

no dishwasher?

We won't have a dishwasher for lots of reasons. One of the reasons is NOT to make the girls work harder and keep them up to their elbows in suds.


One of the reasons is NOT because we ran out of money. We haven't even shook Daniel upsidedown yet for pocket change.


One of the reasons we are not getting a dishwasher isn't because we didn't have a place to put one. It would have gone right where the other one was.



There ARE lots of reasons we are not getting a dishwasher. I didn't want one, and nobody said too much about it. There were some flurries, but no storms.
I think dishwashers ruin things in the kitchen, dishes and work ethic.

Daughters and moms are supposed to do dishes with each other. I can remember doing dishes with my mom. My sister and I always dried, she washed. She split the dishes up, one of us did first half, another did the second half. The second half would be pots and pans and could be harder........but if you did the second half, you would be the one that got to hear mom say, "See, that wasn't so bad." We always had nice cotton towels to dry with. They never smelled weird and they never had stains. I don't know how my mom did it, but none of our things were ever stained. We never put dirty dishes in the sink, we always put them on the cabinet. It still bothers me to this day to put things IN the sink instead of on the cabinet. Rinse them off and put them to the side,,,,,,,,,so when it's wash time, they're easily taken care of.
I never heard my mom complain about dishes either..........she always kept them up, too.


So, I think it is better for daughters to have to wash and dry, not just stick dishes in a dishwasher and walk off. It's therapy, kind of like hanging clothes on a line. But that's a different blog.

Our youngest which is 11, hasn't done very many dishes because the older girls did them........because we had a dishwasher. But that is all fixing to change. I think you can make the surroundings of your dishwashing area pleasant, keep things nice, then it won't be some kind of torcher to do the dishes.

Dishwashers are also very hard on dishes. They dry out skillets, dry out handles on knives, spatulas and pans. They discolor pots and pans, mainly birthday cake pans. They scratchy clean the fun
decoration off of fun cups, they sometimes melt things........and on top of it all, things are not necessarily clean when they come out. We have lots of old dishes. Melmac? plates from the 50's and 60's, old serving bowls, wooden bowls...........purple and Snoopy. Nobody was ever to put anything purple or Snoopy in the dishwasher. Some of our dishes are so old, there is no warning on the back saying not recommended for dishwashers........of course there isn't, there weren't even dishwashers when the plates were made.


So, we bought a new large dish rack and drain board, we designed the kitchen where we would have room to have racks of dishes to dry. I have a nice new beautiful sink to wash dishes in, a new window to look out. I'll wash dishes off and on all day. It doesn't have to be a tough thing.

And, I have lots of pretty towels to dry them with, should we ever start drying dishes.
Posted by Picasa

Comments

Anonymous said…
To a point I agree. And if I had daughters to help I think I would do the same as you.

I've only not had a dishwasher once in my life and I didn't really mind washing my dishes but what drove me *crazy* was to constantly have cups and things sitting on the counters so I felt like I was doing dishes all day long to prevent this.

In my home keeping I actually do both. I wash my pots and pans by hand, the only thing that goes into the dishwasher are the plates, cutlery and glasses-everything else gets washed by hand. And even then I wash the dishes before they go into the dishwasher so they're pretty much already clean. I will say that I do like the dishwasher for extra sanitizing but then I wonder how healthy that harsh dish washing detergent is for us. Our dishes are Corelle so the dishwasher doesn't harm them.

I have thought about going back to hand washing my dishes and glasses (since they're practically clean when I put them into the dishwasher anyay) and just using my dishwasher as a drying rack.

I do agree with you in that there is value in doing certain things the old fashioned way. And I'd love to read the blog about hanging clothes on the line. (o:
Mo said…
I forgot to mention the things that were good for the dishwasher....!...that would be glass plates.......and sanitizing. I did put things in there to cut the grease and to clean them up really good.
A dishwasher certainly isn't all bad. I'm sure I'll see that come some big dinner......and there are lots of plates!
I guess I'd have to say I agree ... because I've never had one :o)

At first, there was just the 2 of us and I didn't need one and on top of that we were renting.

Once our 3 children came along and a few years later when we built our own house, we decided to see how we could manage without one and since I'd never had one before anyway, and discovered that I can manage just fine.

Dishwashing time after supper was often a time for whichever child was helping and Mom [me] to chatter away about anything ...

It's a time for me to stand in front of my kitchen sink window and let me mind wander, or meditate or pray or ?? as I take care of things.

My middle son usually dries them every night and we still chatter away.

I guess I'd have to say that the only time I've sometimes wished for one was a big dinner or get-together .... but you know what? I'm like Michele and would practically wash them all BEFORE I put them in the dishwasher anyways, so there's really no point!

Even when I have had and do have, several guests over, usually one or two of them will help with the dishes and again, it gives us both a chance to chat away while we work which makes the time go by so quickly :o)

Sorry for *rambling on* ...
TO BECOME said…
Oh, Dear Michele I love you but, please don't take my dishwasher away, Please. I had four sons and before they were old enough to wash dishes in the dishwasher, I did them All. I loved the dishwasher It took away all the germs. You should never wash something in the dishwasher where there is a question of it being safe for it or not. I grew up in the time of dishwashing my hand. There were no friendly chats with my Mom. There were eight of us kids and My older sister and I did the dishes. We always had to heat the hot water in those first years, that is if we used hot water. There were so many dishes. I never want to go back to those days. I have never lived in a house where there was a window by my sink to look out. Today, when Grandpa helps with the dishes he always chooses to wash by hand but not Grandma, she'll take a dishwasher any day. lol. love you though, Grandma
Humble wife said…
I am dishwasher deficient too. I love washing the dishes, or when it is on the list the kids do the dishes. In fact my daughter is doing the dishes now.

Once we had a dishwasher and it took longer than to wash them so I stopped using it. Here I had the boys haul it out(I don't even know if it worked), and I put up a curtain and store pet food, and the likes there.

I love to wash the dishes and watch the birds, the sheep, and even the trains in the distance. I could not imagine not having a reason to stand at the sink and wash the dishes, scrub the veggies and rinse out the paint brushes and wash my hair and oh I love the sink and it's purpose:)!!!!!!!

Usually only one person is at the sink, unless we have company after church, or a big meal. Then we divide the dishes up...and each kid has to wash the same number (or as close as possible) number of pots, plates, cups and utensils...leftover from me washing too many baked on pans as a girl!!!

I love the makeover in the kitchen. I am so happy for you and yours!!!
Jennifer
Anonymous said…
We don't have a dishwasher either.....and for alot of the same reasons you mentioned......
Chas said…
Great post!
I agree... I enjoy the times around the sink chatting with my bunch.
Great insight as usual my dear friend.
Love,
Chas
Anonymous said…
We don't have a dishwasher either, I couldn't stand taking the still dirty dishes out and having to soak them because the dirt had been baked on in the drying cycle. Also dishwashing detergent is very toxic and I worried about residue.

Andrea

Popular posts from this blog

My Favorite Child

I wish I had all the pictures I wanted, to go with this blog post........because I know a *picture paints a thousand words*, but for a large part of our family's life, old fashion cameras and old fashion pictures were being used.  So, many of the pictures that would help paint this post are somewhere in boxes and books.  It would take a month of Sundays to find them all so  I will just have to count on your imagination and my memory! FAVORITE: most liked, preferred above all others Sara, you were my favorite.  You were our first baby and we were so excited for you.  Your hair was perfect for me to learn how to braid and you always were very still for me.  You were the first little girl I got to dress up and put lacy socks on.  You were such a fun little girl to read to.  You memorized the books we had and it was a big part of our day to read with each other.  *where is the bear when the wind blows cold?*.    You have always been interested in the *family tree*, dates, p

Apron Give-AWAY

February 19th I will choose a winner. If you want to be entered into the contest..... Leave a comment with the word *APRON* in the sentence. Tell your friends about the contest......... I added a twist........... there are two aprons the winner gets to choose which one they want the other one will be for sale after the contest is over                                                                      #1 apron                                                                   Hello Spring! gingham ric-rac lace buttons Kitten Size Pocket 4 Spring Fabrics waistband 26 inches across from waist to hem 36 inches #2 Apron Spring Dream from waistband side to side 25inches from waist to hem 35 inches large gingham ruffle..........thick ric-rac.............kitten size pocket lots of flowers and buttons (will only send to USA) hop over to the Hutch to see more !! http://therabbithutchstore.blogspot.com/

Spring is around the corner...........

Rabbit Tails !!