Skip to main content

Family Thoughts.........

The woman at the top is my mom. She lives in a little town with dirt roads in Kansas. The woman on the left with glasses is my Aunt Sharon. She's the one that always put lots of black pepper in her gravy. She now lives in a big old farmhouse by herself. Aunt Nancy is the youngest in the family. She reminds me of Pollyanna in lots of her pictures! She lives in Texas. Uncle Larry joined the army and lived in all sorts of places. He lives in Washington now and we don't see much of him. Grandpa Foos even looked nice in his work overalls. He always drove a Cadillac. Grandma Foos, Evelyn, always powdered her nose before she went out. I can still see her running to the bedroom and looking in her mirror! She had soft hair and hands! She still wins the prize for having the tiniest kitchen of anybody I know.

This is a poem I got out of a Reminisce magazine that James bought for me yesterday. We had a date and went to a bookstore.......but that's another story.

The author is unknown.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Back Home

If I had the power to turn back the clock,
Go back to that house at the end of the block-
The house that was 'home' when I was a kid,
I know that I'd love it more now than I did.

If I could be back there at my mother's knee,
And hear once again all the things she told me,
I'd listen as I never listened before,
For she knew so well just what life had in store.

And all the advice that Dad used to give--
His voice I'll remember as long as I live;
But it didn't seem really important then,
What I'd give to live it all over again.

And what I would give for the chance I once had
To do so much more for my mother and dad,
To give them more joy and a little less pain;
A little more sunshine, a little less rain.

But the years roll on and we cannot go back
Whether we were born in a mansion or shack,
but we can start right now-in the hour that's here,
To do something more for the ones we hold dear.

And since time in its flight is traveling so fast,
Let's not spend it regretting that which is past;
But let's make tomorrow a happier day
By doing our 'good unto others'--today.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

The older woman you see in the picture is my Grandma. She DID live at the end of a block. I can still remember the address.......2201 McCormick. We pass by the old house when we are in Kansas and it makes me so sad I can hardly stand it.......to see somebody else live in their house. My Grandpa always had everything so fixed up and neat, nothing out of place, I'm sure the current owners don't care a bit about the porch he took so much time with.

My Grandma had a HUGE round wooden table in her little bitty dining room. Was it a dining room? I would have my head on my mom's lap and listen to them visit........and I would also braid the tassels on Grandma's tablecloth. I'm pretty sure she didn't want me to do that.

My Grandma and Grandpa are gone, but my mom and dad are still alive. What am I waiting for?
Just how much sunshine can a kid give their mom and dad to cover up all the rain?
Posted by Picasa

Comments

Anonymous said…
Dear Molly,
Thank you for the poem. Today is my birthday.
Kathleen
What sweet memories! What makes me so sad is going by my grandma's house here where someone else now lives and see it in such horrible shape! Breaks my heart! The beautiful doors with the etched glass is gone, the beautiful plants are gone, the siding is falling off and it looks so trashy. I try not to drive by it anymore.

Popular posts from this blog

Apron Give-AWAY

February 19th I will choose a winner. If you want to be entered into the contest..... Leave a comment with the word *APRON* in the sentence. Tell your friends about the contest......... I added a twist........... there are two aprons the winner gets to choose which one they want the other one will be for sale after the contest is over                                                                      #1 apron                                                                   Hello Spring! gingham ric-rac lace buttons Kitten Size Pocket 4 Spring Fabrics waistband 26 inches across from waist to hem 36 inches #2 Apron Spring Dream from waistband side to side 25inches from waist to hem 35 inches large gingham ruffle..........thick ric-rac.............kitten size pocket lots of flowers and buttons (will only send to USA) hop over to the Hutch to see more !! http://therabbithutchstore.blogspot.com/

My Favorite Child

I wish I had all the pictures I wanted, to go with this blog post........because I know a *picture paints a thousand words*, but for a large part of our family's life, old fashion cameras and old fashion pictures were being used.  So, many of the pictures that would help paint this post are somewhere in boxes and books.  It would take a month of Sundays to find them all so  I will just have to count on your imagination and my memory! FAVORITE: most liked, preferred above all others Sara, you were my favorite.  You were our first baby and we were so excited for you.  Your hair was perfect for me to learn how to braid and you always were very still for me.  You were the first little girl I got to dress up and put lacy socks on.  You were such a fun little girl to read to.  You memorized the books we had and it was a big part of our day to read with each other.  *where is the bear when the wind blows cold?*.    You have always been interested in the *family tree*, dates, p

Spring is around the corner...........

Rabbit Tails !!